The last few days have been those of firsts. I proudly watched my son try to drink cheese from a Chicago Blackhawks glass, I watched him let out little doggy lick his animal crackers (and them eat them himself) and I performed my first heimlich maneuver. Sammy was eating a cheese string as a snack as he has done many times before. We were in the same room, but I was not paying attention to the cheese eating. Sammy had been very still for (what seemed like) a few seconds, then he turned to me, his little face a funny colour and his eyes begging me for help. It took a moment to register, then I saw him silently wretching and I knew he was choking. He was not breathing. I picked his little body up and pulled on his ribcage. After a few times of trying, a small piece of cheese came flying out of his mouth and he gasped for air. Not ten seconds later, Mike walked through the door to see me holding the boy, and the cheese on the floor. I was fine for about ten minutes, then the severity of what just happened hit me like a fist. I could not stop crying. I am however (splitting the infinitive) pleased to tell that he was fine about 20 seconds later; chasing the dog and playing with his trains. It is me that is scarred!
I will now backtrack a few days to less traumatic events. Wednesday we travelled across the lake with the lovely Rebecca and her son Beau. We met up with some friends on a farm to pet some animals and experience our first hay rids (sans the hay).
Thursday was two rides on the Halloween train at the mall. I honestley thought Sammy would be scared to ride the train without me, but all he needed was his flame-haired, up for anything friend Graham! They have so much fun together!
Friday night was Boo at the Zoo. It is a local fundraiser held at Audubon Zoo and every little one dresses up in a costume to celebrate Halloween. Sammy had been sent a yukata from Japan, and so we paired it with a plastic sword and created our own little samuri warrior! As my good friend Rubi put it, "Way to embrace your Asian heritage Sammy!". He was the cutest little warrior I have ever seen, and way more convincing that Tom Cruise.
Saturday was the most fun of all! We travelled about ninety minutes north of here to Folsom. With our friends Amy, Sal and Lilly we saw a cow being milked, rode another (no hay) hayride, saw more pumpkins and just ran around in the hay. I love seeing little ones be able to run freely, its even more idyllic when its through a corn field!
All in all, a very eventful and fun week (minus the choking). I hope that these experiences stay with my boy for a long time and that he becomes a well-rounded person for them. I think he is doing a great job so far, even with hay on his head.
Sunday, October 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Poor Sammy and you. I'm so glad he's okay! He does make a cute warrior! Have fun in England. We'll have to meet up when you get back!
ReplyDeleteLove the warrior costume, too cute!
ReplyDelete