Samuel keeps falling down. Socks do not agree with him at all, but in fairness I think that resistance is a concept lost on a one year old. I think he might have twisted his ankle at some point today as he cleverly signed to me that he had an 'ouchy' on his foot. Sign language is a magical tool for babies, but when you can't do anything about what they communicate to you it seems to lose some of its sparkle.
Daddy came home looking a bit grey after a fourteen and a half hour nightshift and tried to smoosh three hours worth of playing into ten minutes before he promtly passed out. Later in the afternoon we spent only about an hour together relaxing (whilst Sammy napped) but it was during this hour that the strangest conversation developed. Mike and I were having our usual disagreement about whether 'Barefoot Contessa' is a good show (I think yes, he disagrees) and during a commercial break, there was an advert for 'Chopped', a programme I do not like. For those who are not familiar, three mediocre chefs are given picnic baskets with secret ingredients inside and are asked to prepare a dish in twenty minutes. It was clear that on the upcoming episode they were being asked to cook with something which was still living. In the comfort of our living room, I asked, "Would you ever eat anything that was still alive?" to which he responded, "I already have". The following is one of the strangest conversations I have ever had (and I taught teenagers!).
Me: Would you ever eat anything that was still alive?
Mike: I already have
Me: No you have not
Mike: Yes I have, I ate a goldfish
Me: What? You did not eat a goldfish
Mike: Yes I did, I drank one
Me: What??? You did not eat or drink a goldfish
Mike: I did! In college, for hockey
Me: Your hockey team made you eat a live goldfish, I don't believe you
Mike: Don't believe me then, we all had to do it
Me: Why would they make you eat (or drink) a goldfish? I don't understand American universities
Mike: I drank one through a beer bong
Me: If you drank a goldfish, I ate a cat
Mike: Now that's a lie, you did not eat a cat
Me: I ate a cat as much as you ate a goldfish
Mike: Don't believe me then, I don't care but I did eat one, it was small, but I did
Me: Okay
There were then only a few moments of silence before our child woke up and my husband had to leave for medical school. Aren't the conversations that go on behind closed doors strange?
On a different note, my photography teacher saw the pictures I submitted for homework and told me I could sell them and make money. That's always nice to hear. Here is the one he liked the most.
Monday, October 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That is a great picture! Where was it taken? You'll have to teach me!
ReplyDeleteI took it at the Insectarium, the window is perfect. I don't know that much but am more than happy to share the bit that I do!
ReplyDelete