Two different names for the same man = one confused little boy.
Sammy has to deal with language barriers on a daily basis, and for the most part I think he copes very well.
Pacifier = Dummy
Diaper = Nappy
Lunch = Dinner (because in England we have breakfast, dinner and tea, rather than breakfast lunch and dinner {in the north at least...})
Eggplant = Aubergine
Squash = Courgette
Honestly, I could go on forever...Anyway, I digress...
We promised our boy he could visit FC/Santa (he loves him in the Night Before Christmas book) and he seemed happy to do so. When we arrived at Clearview Mall he was (of course) fast asleep in his pram (stroller-see, there is another one) and showing no signs of waking up. 40 minutes and $40 later (spent in Target) he decides to wake up and seems thrilled by the Christmas lights. Mike and I push him to the Santa/FC and the smiles are getting bigger. I will tell you why. The baubles (ornaments) in the fake snow on the ground. I tentatively place Sammy on the giant Santas/FC's knee and all expression drains from his face. No crying, no smiling, nothing. Blank and expressionless. Oh how we tried to make that boy smile. At one point, Mike was actually jumping around and pulling faces. I had to tell him to stop. Honestly, bordering on embarassing. Our Santa/FC picture is ridiculous (but for $19 for 2 5x7) but I will cherish it forever. Even if the memory attached to it is of my husband jumping around like a lunatic in front of Santa/FC and the photographer in the middle of the mall. The absolute kicker was...the cheap paper hat (a la McDonalds) that the Santa/FC gave to Sammy was his favourite thing about it. Want proof? Here it is...

No comments:
Post a Comment